Somehow I thought once I downsized my hectic and crazy life, it would automatically get easier.
And I guess in many ways it has. I do spend less time working around my house, less time shopping and less time cleaning, but that hasn’t automatically made my life simpler.
I am realizing that simplicity isn’t actually simple! It takes work!
The problem is that my habit of “staying busy” didn’t automatically change when I moved into a smaller space. . .I just changed how I was using my time.
Some of those changes have been great. I visit friends and family more, I write more and I spend more time trying to “improve” myself. But I have also added more to my to-do list.
Unfortunately, last month I realized I was in danger of creeping back into my overworked, over stressed lifestyle, just in a smaller space.
Here are the steps I am going to take to slow down and enjoy life more.
1. Say no more – I have gotten in the habit of adding too much to my plate again. I have been saying yes to business opportunities, educational opportunities and work commitments. All of these things are good, but if I am honest, I am overwhelmed right now. So I will be saying no more.
2. Take time to relax – This means more reading and more time learning new hobbies. Right now my new hobby is crochet (an easy hobby for a small space and very therapeutic!). I am also making a commitment to go to the beach at least once a month (while I am in driving distance), a place that is incredibly therapeutic for me.
3. Spend more time with friends – I also realized that my “busy schedule” had reduced the amount of time I connected to those around me. Instead of nurturing friendships, I always had a reason that, “today wasn’t a good day” to get together. But, I know these relationships are important and will ultimately enrich my life.
4. Spend less money – I am certainly spending less with my big bills, but I am still in the process of paying off some debt, so I can still reduce stress by spending even less. By spending less, I will alleviate that burden sooner and simplify my financial life.
5. Declutter again! – I am also in the process of going through my home again and getting rid of more stuff. I am finding I still have things in my house I don’t really need. By decluttering, I will free up more space, reduce the visual clutter and simplify my home.
What are you doing to simplify this week? What tips do you have to keep your life simple and stress free?